Saturday, July 6, 2013

How many variations of Math CAN THERE BE??!!

Ok, folks, I'm starting to get grumpy over here.

I was fortunate enough to come across a nice college Algebra textbook that a niece let me have which I perceive to be an excellent book for those college students who, like myself, aren't too keen on Math. I am starting to practice my rusty skills from the beginning of this book. But, alas, when I start looking at the topics, I find that there may be important information that is, well, omitted from a certain chapter.

This forces me to do some more investigating. "Is there more to this topic than what's presented in this book?" "What if I don't check out other variations of this problem and it happens to sneak up on me during a class, not so much the actual topic itself but something that WOULD HAVE HELPED me grasp a certain concept if ONLY I had dug deeper online???"

Take this elementary math concept for example:

Write numbers FROM expanded form TO standard form using decimals...blah blah blah

Say WHAT???!!!

This is just a sneak peek at what I'm up against here....

Yeah, yeah, I know there are people out there who look at this as child's play, but there are lots of people, especially adults, who haven't been in a classroom setting for a while. I can do basic math (i.e. add, subtract, multiply, and divide), taught myself how to deal with fractions several months ago, make change, etc., but I am obviously out of the loop when it comes to tackling the finer points of basic math concepts.

But, as the saying goes, "We're never too old to learn!"

I'm cooking frozen hamburgers right now; does anybody want one?! LOL

I'm taking a break from venting to listen to a lynda.com video on using XHTML to create web pages. It's the 'language' that makes the internet run.

No comments:

Post a Comment